So here in the waning weeks of 2017, I, like many of you, wanted to take a moment to pause and reflect. Because it has been A Year in so many ways.
Writing: I started the year finishing a book and I spent the spring rewriting half of a book. In June I revisited an old WIP and promptly abandoned it. In July I started a brand new WIP and abandoned it a month later. This fall I've started in on an even different WIP, and I am still digging into it. It is hard. It is so, so hard to work on a new story when I don't even feel like I have my footing in the world. Maybe it's because this is my most "real world" world that I've created. Maybe it's because I don't have a complete image of my main character yet. I'm not sure. But I am sure that I will get there.
I also made muchos progress on my choose-your-own-adventure immersive theater play. I am very excited about it. I want to do a reading of it in 2018. GOALS!
Life: I had a wonderful happy year with my friends and family. I am in a very wonderful relationship with a wonderful person (a huge reason why 2017 was awesome). I've been to such super cool events this year with amazing people. I've made new friends and deepened existing relationships. I've celebrated successes and mourned alongside people that matter to me. I am so, so, so lucky to have all of you here in my heart.
Lessons learned: I've learned a lot of things about what I need to be happy in life and in love.
- I've learned to say no to things that would be taking away my time instead of giving to my heart.
- I've learned that I need to keep up my physical activity level. Regular yoga (2-3 times a week) is a must. Biking has also been a wonderful addition (and my bike is the CUTEST!)
- I've learned that you do really teach people how to treat you.
- I've learned (again and again) that my friends are the best, best, best.
- I've learned it's okay to say no to writing when LIVING is happening. Sometimes you gotta step back from trying to constantly produce and just enjoy living.
So, happy END OF 2017, everyone. Seriously. I have faith in the future, because we have to. Keep swimming, keep fighting, keep arting. And keep sharing the love.
"That's how we're gonna win. Not fighting what we hate, saving what we love."